Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Follies of the Father




Follies of the Father


Never saw
my Daddy cry

not a tear

not a choked
back sniffle

always told
me

crying a sign
of weakness

for women
and children only

REAL MEN

never ever
cry

tis a hard core
generation
thing

John Wayne
never ever
shed a tear
while he was
blowing away
bad guys

Dirty Harry's
steely eyes
never ever
cried
when his
partner
died

these childhood
lessons

stay with us

define and mold

who we are

therefore

I NEVER EVER CRY

even when my heart
swells with tears

I suppress and repress

cause

real men
never ever
cry

Now I know what
you're going to
say

it's the 21st Century!

tis OK for men to cry

macho athletes
well up after victory

even the President
gets weepy after tragedy

I envy men unafraid to be free

but I'm trapped 
in my Daddy's world

REAL MEN DON'T CRY

even though my Daddy
is now old and frail

his once 
strong body
starting to fail

when he dies

I won't cry

I will ache silently 

cause it would
dishonor him
and his life long 
belief that

REAL MEN DON'T CRY!!

2 comments:

  1. So sad to read this but alas many men and boys are taught to be ashamed of tears, emotions.I say its only human to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad and not healthy to hold things in...My poetry which I started writing very recently in my life is my outlet to release these repressed feelings..

    ReplyDelete