Monday, June 9, 2014

Inside Ground Zero


I rode the subway that Tuesday morn
along with legions of commuter warriors

Dressed in my finest business threads
to dazzle and impress my future employer

Nervously lobby lounging

Reading the Journal

Awaiting my turn to impress

A sonic boom shattered the serene

From below
billows of black smoke drifted up
along with the pungent scent of gasoline

Amidst the turmoil of our surreal chaos
precious bits of news sifted through

A plane had crashed into the North Tower
giving us a front row seat of the tragedy

Moments later
our tower was blasted

Now we were all
on the front lines
of the terror war

The rest is a blur

Heat, smoke, and screams

Fear, confusion, chaotic scene   

I would have called home
if only I had known
that we soon to be ghosts
on the 101st floor
never had a chance

Many say

September 11, 2011

was America's longest day

but my day,

my life

ended at 9:59 A.M

when our mighty structure

came tumbling down





     








   



   

1 comment: