Saturday, December 20, 2014

Self Confession


Burned into our young souls

Hard core
Sunday school indoctrination

Theology, dogma and ancient rules  
spun from a good Catholic education

I learned by rote
those ten commandments
written by God himself
as interpreted from
a best selling book
they made into
an epic motion picture

Somehow

the pious playbook
did not penetrate
my hedonist core

cause when it
comes to these
damn commandments
that define sin
   
I must confess
before the 
stone throwing
congregation

I've broken them all

More than once
in a variety of ways
and sinful positions

Buhey!

I bear the guilt
that humanity 
has carried
through the centuries
right into chemical
psycho therapy

My bad

but

do I get any
heavenly credit
for all the times
I obeyed
the do the right thing rules?

Can I get an amen?

Maybe my chalice is half full?

Faith is great
if you can deal
with all the uncertainty

but this much I do know

Tis NOT easy being saintly
in the 21st Century










No comments:

Post a Comment