Saturday, June 1, 2019

Conversation With A Conservative


An honest to God religious zealot
of a mutual acquaintance
preached that if I did not embrace fully
and accept unconditionally
the divinity of Jesus Christ
Hell's fires awaited me when I died

I told this man of a conservative mindset
that JC's godly lineage will forever be a mystery

His divine super powers are irrelevant anyway
for the words that comprised his core philosophy
really need not be validated with tales of divinity     

Tis his message of loving EVERYONE
across the spectrum of humanity
in this rainbow patchwork quilt of diversity
has always resonated with me

Even sinners as so perceived
by the rules of traditional society
were embraced by this revolutionary 
many today celebrate as the messiah

These convictions got him executed eventually
by narrow minded Pharisees who could not understand
that the message of love and tolerance preached
by this humble unassuming man
were not a threat to their sacred status quo

So I asked my homophobic holier than thou friend
of a scripture quoting conservative Christian bent
if eternal damnation would be the post death fate
of all those who today refuse to embrace
the divisive non inclusive culture of hate
that crucifies those who do not toe the line
as set forth by strictly interpreted biblical confines?

My pious homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist friend
offered me up their condescending prayers for my soul

I said thanks for putting in a good word for me
with your distorted version of the almighty
but I think I'll take my final judgment chances
solely based on how I treated my fellow humans
here on Earth

Amen...






     

No comments:

Post a Comment