Sunday, January 12, 2014

Waking Moments




Waking Moments


Seeing her
laying there
in the casket


so peacefully
serene

like a plastic mannequin

"Doesn't she look good?"

"Her pain is gone"

"She's with God now"

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

She's dead!!!

Void of life

An overdressed door stop

This is not my pal gone cold!!

I see her dancing

So young and dumb

and full of life

Flood of memories

school days care free


back in decadent 70's


Forever flirty friends


we were
once upon a time


Look at us now

You are dead

and me

playing the somber soul

Dressed in my

best death comes a
calling threads 

We would share 
a laugh at the absurdity
of this scene

How the Hell
did I ever 
outlive you?

Now what do I do?

Do I go in the back
and chat?

Reminisce and swap
your life stories 
with these strangers
I use to know long ago
when we were less
proper and so much
more alive

I never know

how to perform

at these things

Maybe find religion

suck up to the Lord
while it's convenient  

My prayer
my hope
my wish

is that you are 
looking down 
on your farewell scene

and are as happy in death

as you were in life 

Amen

2 comments:

  1. Having buried both my mother and brother in the last two years, I feel your pain. Steve. And I'm so sorry for your loss. That's the gift we have - our memories will keep them alive and doing the things they loved to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim for the beautiful words... Time may not heal all wounds , but it does dull the pain a little

      Delete