Saturday, November 9, 2013

Trash Nation



Trash Nation


Here at Mount Dump


on top of 
disposal peak

crazed gulls

circle
the growing 
scrap heap

scavengers
devouring the
leftovers feast


rats scurry
through
refuse caves

a garbage 
truck parade
provides 
constant trash
replenishment

this be the
Church
of our mass
consumption society

where we bury
our over flow

disposable
excess congregates 

this mountain range

an indictment
dumped on the

United States
of Waste


burying treasures


the world's poor


would

die for

5 comments:

  1. So much truth and how sad that it is the reality that so many have so much they can toss it so carelessly aside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read you beautiful tribute poem about a man from a generation which was much more sensitive and appreciative about fully utilizing resources than our throw away society is today

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Steve. I appreciate that so much. Yes, I think of my father (WW II vet, now deceased), my brother (Navy officer, now deceased) and my oldest son (who is currently serving in the Canadian Armed Forces and spent seven months in Afghanistan) and I think we take their great sacrifices for granted sometimes...and I can't understand how we can have a Labor Day and not a Veteran's Day where they can be properly acknowledged.

      Delete
  2. This is so true and why I have recycled and donated for years.Great job Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanesa .. You know how much I admire and respect your writing skills so your compliment means the world to me

      Delete